This is a simple make ahead recipe and it freezes well. Use for stuffing your turkey, or simply bake in a casserole dish. Read through the recipe before beginning, you’ll see how simple it is! Chicken or vegetable broth can be used in this recipe. Makes 12 cups (24 servings).
1 (12 ounce) package corn bread mix
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 pound sausage, cooked and drained
2 teaspoons ground sage
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup vegetable broth
3 stalks celery, chopped
1. One to two days ahead, make one pan of cornbread according to the box instructions. Let this sit out overnight and get a firm (almost hard) crust.
2. Place sausage in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Crumble, drain and set aside.
3. In a sauté pan, cook onion and celery in butter until soft. Remove from heat, allow to cool.
4. In a large bowl, combine crumbled cornbread, sausage, onions and celery. Add sage, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix well.
5. In 1/4 cup increments, add chicken or vegetable broth to stuffing mixture. Toss gently until evenly moist.
Loosely stuff in fowl or casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until heated to 160 degrees F.